- Drought – during dry weather spells the decrease in the amount of natural occurring good quality animal grazing decreases, this means that producers need to supply supplementary feeds.
- Predation – more and more vermin such as caracal and jackal killing lambs and goat kids in extensive areas, so farmers lamb down in smaller camps near homesteads, these smaller camps cannot sustain animals without additional supplementary feeding.
- High value animals such as stud animals are boosted to be in peak condition for ram sales or shows.
- SA is a net importer of red meat and not enough is produced in SA so local farmers try to increase the weight and value of each animal produced.
- Game industry, more and more land is being used for high value game animals which are fed pelleted animal feed on a continuous basis. The cost of supplementary feed for these animals is an absolute minimal fraction of the value of the rare animal. As more farms convert to game farms, so the predator numbers increase and small livestock farmers have to give more attention to their animals and feed with supplementary feed.
Sheep are commonly supplementary fed during late-summer, autumn and early winter to:
- Improve utilisation of existing dry pasture
- Meet the sheep's requirements by providing extra nutrients
- Improve production to ensure that meat production or wool quality targets are met
- Reduce the grazing pressure on establishing pasturesto ensure that pasture growth rates are optimised in winter
A highly palatable pelletised lucerne pellet is ideal as a supplement to grazing for any large herbivorous animals such as horses, cattle and sheep.
Lucerne Pellets provide many benefits over traditional feeds such as chaff in the area of storage, handling, minimising wastage and guaranteed nutritional value.
- Pelletized feed takes up much less storage space
- Pelletized feed can be stored for longer and with less wastage
- You determine what you feed your animals and in what ratio
- Eliminates selective feeding habits
- Better handling properties and a cleaner product
- Feed can be transported more easily
- Reduces respiratory disease in animals due to dust inhalation
- Pelletized feeds have a 145% higher conversion ratio
- Better results with growth in animals
- Decrease wastage of loose feed by up to 30% when pelleted